Classic stuffed mushrooms can be jazzed up with a variety of ingredients. Try adding crabmeat, bacon, cream cheese, pesto, blue cheese, or cooked sausage to the filling in this recipe. Or you could wrap the (unbroiled) stuffed mushrooms in puff pastry or phyllo dough and bake 15 minutes for a more substantial appetizer with a dramatic presentation.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 16 oz. fresh mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a tea towel. Remove the stems and set the caps aside. Chop the stems in a fine dice.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan, add the onions and sauté for a minute over medium heat. Add the mushroom stems and thyme and cook for about 4 minutes. Add cream, stir to combine, and then transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, half of the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix well with mushroom mixture. Set aside.
- Put the mushroom caps on a baking sheet, gill sides up. Stuff each cap with a teaspoon of the mushroom stem mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Broil mushrooms in the oven for about 5 minutes, until stuffing is nicely browned. Serve warm.