These savory stuffed onions make a filling side dish. You could also use small onions and turn them into appetizers.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large sweet onions
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 oz. cooked and crumbled pork sausage
- 2 oz. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 3 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green chilies
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Peel the onions, then cut off the top 1 inch of each.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook the onions for 12 minutes. Drain and take out the center of each onion, creating four onion cups. Put the cups in the prepared casserole dish; set aside.
- Chop the centers of the onions and sauté them in olive oil. Transfer them to a bowl and add the sausage, Monterey jack cheese, bread crumbs, herbs, green chilies, salt, and pepper. Mix well, add the egg, and mix again.
- Make four balls out of the stuffing and put one in each onion cup.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve hot.