This can be made with red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, and the filling can be made with other meats, such as lamb or turkey. Tofu can be substituted for a meatless version.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ lb. ground pork
- ½ cup cooked white long-grain rice
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and discard seeds and membrane. Reserve the tops with the stems. Lay pepper cups in an ungreased 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- In a bowl mix together the ground beef, ground pork, rice, onion, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper half with a scoop of the mixture, mounding it on top. Top with reserved pepper tops.
- Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour.