Stuffed Pork Loin
This roast is delicious served hot with rice and asparagus, or sliced thin and served cold with coarse mustard, cheese, and cornichon pickles.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 lbs.), butterflied
- ½ cup dried whole apricots
- ½ cup whole prunes
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lay the roast out flat with the inside of the cut part facing up. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top and lightly pound the meat to the same thickness.
- Spread the fruit and basil over the meat, leaving a ½” border on the lengthwise edge opposite you. Carefully roll the pork into tight circle, keeping the filling inside. Tie it with kitchen twine in several places.
- Set the stuffed roast in a baking dish and rub it with butter. Season the roast with salt and pepper and pour apple cider or juice over it. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 250°F and continue roasting for about 1½ hours. Baste a few times during the roasting for a flavorful outer layer of meat.