Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Classic stuffed mushrooms can be jazzed up with a variety of ingredients. Try adding crabmeat, bacon, cream cheese, pesto, or blue cheese to the filling in this recipe. Or wrap the (unbroiled) stuffed mushrooms in puff pastry or phyllo dough and bake 15 minutes for a more substantial appetizer.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a tea towel. Remove the stems and set the caps aside. Chop the stems in a fine dice.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan, add the onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add the mushroom stems and thyme and cook for about 4 minutes. Add cream, stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to bowl. Add bread crumbs, ground flax seeds, half of the Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper to the bowl and mix well with mushroom mixture. Set aside.
- Put the mushroom caps on a baking sheet, gill sides up. Stuff each cap with the mushroom stem mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Broil mushrooms in the oven for about 10 minutes, until stuffing is nicely browned. Serve warm.