Stuffed Veal Chops
This recipe calls for thick-cut chops. You can use double rib chops with a pocket for the aromatic herbs, vegetables, and cheese. These can be grilled or sautéed.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 4 veal rib chops (1 1⁄2 inches thick), a pocket cut from the outside edge toward the bone in each
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 thin tomato slices
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Sauté the shallots, rosemary, basil, and coriander in butter for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Stuff the chops with herb mixture. Insert one cheese slice and one tomato slice into the pocket. Rub chops with olive oil and remaining salt and pepper.
- Using an outdoor grill or broiler, sear the chops over high heat. Then, reduce heat to medium and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium chops or rare chops, depending on the thickness.