This recipe also works great with medium size zucchini. You can also substitute yellow summer squash.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 large zucchini
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- 4 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- Grease casserole dish with olive oil. Trim off the ends of the zucchini, halve them lengthwise, and use a small spoon to scoop some out some of the seeded flesh to form hollow “boats.” Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil and blanch the zucchini for 2 minutes. Drain well, then place them cut-side up in a prepared casserole dish.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté the shallot and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and spinach, and cook gently for 4 minutes to remove any liquid. Stir in the cheese, then the ketchup. Add the parsley, and season with salt and pepper; then stir in the honey. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the egg and nuts.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Fill the zucchini halves with this mixture. Cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until heated throughout. Serve hot, with a salad of thinly sliced tomatoes as a first course, or as a buffet item.