Subtly Flavored Bratwurst
Bratwurst is better grilled because of its pale color—a nice golden look is very appetizing. Bratwurst and sauerkraut are a marriage made in heaven.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 bratwurst
- 1½ bottles or cans of rich beer, not light
- 1 lb. sauerkraut, either jarred or canned
- ¼ lb. butter
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar
- ½–1 tsp. caraway seeds, bruised in mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- Prick bratwursts with fork. Open the beer and pour into a large pot. Let the beer defoam for about 10 minutes. Add the sausages, then bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the sauerkraut while the sausages are cooking. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut in cold water. Place it in a saucepan with the butter, cider vinegar, caraway seeds, brown sugar, and cloves. Bring to a boil and simmer over very low heat for 10 minutes. Remove cloves before serving.
- Heat grill to medium. Grill sausages until golden on both sides. Serve with sauerkraut.