If you use dried beans, be sure to soak them overnight and then cook them in water until they are al dente.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. fresh lima beans
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- Cook the beans and corn separately in boiling water until just tender (not quite done). Remove the corn kernels from the cobs. Small-dice the onion and red pepper.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to medium temperature, add the onion, and sauté until light golden in color. Add the red pepper and cook for 1 minute. Season with black pepper.
- Add the beans and corn, sprinkle with flour, and stir. Whisk in the milk and stock; simmer at low heat for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, until the beans and corn are thoroughly cooked. Garnish with parsley.