Sugar & Spice Rubbed Sirloin
Use this sugar and spice rub that caramelizes on the grill and creates a crackling, burnt sugar char and juicy, rare center.
Serves: 6Prep: 2 hoursCook: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 pounds top sirloin steak, about 1” thick
- Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub one side of the steak with half the rub mixture. Allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Spread the remaining rub on the other side of the steak. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- While the steak is sitting, prepare the grill for high heat.
- When the steak is ready, place on grill. Five minutes on each side is rare, so depending on your preference, char each side to get a nice crisp crust then move to a more indirect side of the grill to prevent flare ups, letting the steak cook a total of 6 minutes per side (which would yield a red medium rare).
- Remove the steak from the grill (once the internal temp reaches 145°) and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Slice diagonally ¼” thick.
- Refrigerate leftovers.