Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs with Quick Frosting
These holiday cookies are sure to be a hit at any size gathering. Get the kids involved by having them decorate their own cookies.
Serves: 20Prep: 1 hour 30 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Food coloring, if desired
- Decorating sugars, if desired
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and sugar. Cream together until well-combined. Add egg and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract; beat until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add flour, baking powder and salt into mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Form dough into two disks and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. After dough is chilled, roll out on a floured surface. Add flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Roll to 1/6” thick.
- Use desired cookie cutters to cut shapes out of dough and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, until edges are lightly golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, corn syrup and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until desired consistency is achieved. If using food coloring, divide frosting into separate bowls and color as desired.
- Transfer frosting to piping bags and decorate cookies. Sprinkle with decorating sugars, if desired.
- Allow frosting to harden, then serve.