This recipe is for the kind of cut-out cookies that are especially popular around holiday time. You can also form the dough into a log and slice rounds, or roll the dough into balls before baking.
Makes: 24 cookiesHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 24 cookies
- 8 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add egg, cream, and vanilla; mix well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the salt, baking powder, and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to prevent sticking. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or a drinking glass. Brush excess flour off the cookies and place them on 2 large ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle cut-outs with confectioners' sugar.
- Bake cookies for 9 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.