Sugar-Free Chocolate Ice Cream
Just because you need a sugar-free recipe doesn’t mean you have to skimp in the flavor department. This recipe packs a surprising amount of flavor thanks to the cocoa powder.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white stevia powder
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Combine milk, 2 cups of the heavy cream, espresso powder, cocoa powder, salt, and stevia powder in a medium saucepan. Bring to a light simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. While milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to the saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Add remaining 2 cups of heavy cream and the vanilla extract. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing.