Sugar-Free Ginger Spice Cookies
Here’s a delicious holiday cookie sweetened with maple syrup and molasses instead of refined sugar. Adjust the seasonings to your taste—add cloves if you like, or omit the allspice and add extra ginger.
Makes: 18Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup soy milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan margarine, maple syrup, molasses, and soy milk. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mix the flour and spices in with the wet ingredients until combined. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll dough into 1 1⁄2-inch balls and place on a large baking sheet. Flatten slightly, then bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until done.