Sugar-Free Vanilla Caramel Swirl Ice Cream
Vanilla and caramel go hand in hand—both are creamy, rich, and sweet. Here they play together to delight your taste buds.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Splenda
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar-free caramel syrup
- Combine heavy cream, Splenda, vanilla bean, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a light simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Remove vanilla bean, rinse, and save for another use.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Reheat cream mixture until hot, then temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to the saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Add half and half and vanilla extract. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Before storing in freezer, swirl in caramel sauce.