Sugar and Spice Cookies
Sugar cookies are even more tasty when holiday spices are added.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. salt
- 12 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 Tbsp. confectioners’ sugar, divided
- Combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt in a large bowl. Stir to mix and set aside.
- Add butter and granulated sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat for 5 minutes, until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and scrape the sides of the bowl. Beat for another 5 minutes. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until the dough comes together. Scrape the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a ball and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of confectioners’ sugar on a work surface. Cut the dough into quarters. Roll the dough out ¼" thick. Cut into desired shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Repeat the process with 3 more tablespoons of flour and the remaining dough.
- Bake 8 minutes, or until the edges start to turn light brown. Cool on a wire rack.