Summer Strawberry Ice Cream
Ice cream is a wonderful treat, especially during the warm months. If you want to personalize this recipe, try adding some flaked coconut to the egg yolk mixture or mixing strawberries and raspberries.
Makes: 4 cupsHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 4 cups
- 1¼ quarts fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1½ cups heavy cream, divided
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- Place the berries into a blender or food processor; purèe until smooth.
- Heat 1¼ cups cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it begins to bubble at the edge of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, egg yolks, remaining ¼ cup cream, vanilla, and corn syrup.
- Slowly pour the cream into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan. Simmer until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Do not boil!
- Mix berries and custard together. Pour mixture through a fine sieve to remove seeds and any lumps. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Use an ice cream maker to get a really smooth dessert. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can transfer the custard into a mixing bowl and put it in the freezer. After 30 minutes, beat thoroughly and return to freezer. Repeat until you achieve the desired texture.