Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Focaccia
The aroma of the sun-dried tomato, basil, and pine nuts is incredible in this wonderful bread!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110°F–115°F)
- 5 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp. lemon zest, minced
- Combine yeast, 4¼ cups flour, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a fork to mix well. Mix in 2 tablespoons olive oil and the warm water with your hands, adding water ¼ cup at a time until all the water is incorporated. Add the remaining ¼ cup flour as needed if dough is too sticky to knead. Scrape the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5–7 minutes, continuing to add flour as needed.
- Return dough to bowl, cover with plastic wrap or a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Spread dough somewhat evenly in an oiled 9" × 13" baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and allow to rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- While oven preheats, prepare pesto by placing remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 3 sun-dried tomatoes, basil, pine nuts, and garlic in a blender. Purée, and then stir in lemon zest. Poke finger holes across the top of the dough, then spread evenly with pesto. Coarsely chop the remaining 2 sun-dried tomatoes and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake 25–30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Serve warm with additional olive oil for dipping, if desired.