Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto with Basil and Pine Nuts
The tomatoes carry the flavor in this easy risotto. But if you’re a cook who keeps truffle, hazelnut, pine nut, or another gourmet oil on hand, now’s the time to use it!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. Smart Balance Buttery Spread
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped pine nuts
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook 2–3 minutes. Add rice and toast 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add ¾ cup vegetable broth and stir to combine. When most of the liquid has been absorbed, add another ½ cup, stirring constantly. Continue adding broth ½ cup at a time until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Add another ½ cup broth, tomatoes, spinach, and basil and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine well. Heat 3–4 minutes until tomatoes are soft and spinach is wilted.
- Stir in spread, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cool slightly. Risotto will thicken a bit as it cools.