Sunday Pork Roast
A little bit of comfort made easy in a slow cooker.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 each carrots, peeled and cut into 2” sections
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 5 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 3 each russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
- 4 each ribs celery, cut into 2” sections
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock, divided
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Rub over outside of pork shoulder.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add oil. Sear pork on all sides until golden brown.
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery and onions in a 6-8-qt. slow cooker. Add pork and 1 cup broth. Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours until pork and vegetables are tender and internal temperature of the pork reaches at least 145°F.
- Remove pork and vegetables to a serving dish. Turn heat to HIGH. Mix together corn starch and remaining broth; whisk into remaining liquid. Cover and cook 20 minutes to thicken slightly; strain. Serve pork and vegetables with pan sauce. Refrigerate leftovers.