Sunflower Seed “Cheese” Spread
Spread cheese onto bagels, toast, or crackers. You can add flavor and color by stirring in 1 tablespoon minced fresh herbs such as dill, chives, oregano, tarragon, parsley, or cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups hulled sunflower seeds, soaked in 3 cups water for 8–12 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. probiotic powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Blend the sunflower seeds with 2 cups water, garlic powder, probiotic powder, and salt until smooth and creamy. If desired, you may also blend in your favorite spice or fresh minced herb.
- Place this sunflower seed mixture into a yogurt maker, or place in a glass jar. Fasten a cheesecloth over the jar opening.
- Let your cheese culture sit at room temperature for 6–8 hours.
- The cheese and liquid whey will separate. Pour off the liquid whey and discard it. Place cheese into a nut milk bag and squeeze out the remaining liquid. Your culture will then be the texture of cream cheese. At this point you are ready to use it as a spread. Store the cheese in an airtight container in the fridge.