Sunflower Seed “Cheese” Spread
You can add flavor and color to this spread by stirring in 1 tablespoon minced fresh herbs such as dill, chives, oregano, tarragon, parsley, or cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 16 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups hulled sunflower seeds
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. probiotic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- Place sunflower seeds in a bowl and cover with 3 cups water. Set aside to soak for 8 to 12 hours. Rinse and drain seeds.
- Blend soaked sunflower seeds with remaining 2 cups water, garlic powder, probiotic powder, and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Place sunflower seed mixture in a yogurt maker or a glass jar. Fasten a cheesecloth over the jar opening.
- Let cheese culture sit at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours.
- The cheese and liquid whey will separate. Pour off the liquid whey and discard it. Place cheese in a nut milk bag and squeeze out the remaining liquid. The culture should have the texture of cream cheese. Serve immediately or store the cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.