Super Garlicky Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes feature garlic in two ways, making them perfect for the garlic lover. Make enough so youʼll have leftovers to turn into potato pancakes, shepherdʼs pie—or just to eat again!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 11 large cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup lactose-free margarine
- 4 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup warm soy milk
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Thinly slice 4 cloves of the garlic. Reserve remaining cloves.
- Melt margarine in a small skillet over low heat. Add sliced garlic to margarine. Sauté until garlic is tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Rinse potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot. Add remaining 7 cloves of garlic and ¼ tsp. of the salt. Cover potatoes with water. Place potatoes over high heat and bring to boil. Cook potatoes until they break apart easily with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the liquid. Whip potatoes with an electric mixer. Add ½ cup of warm soy milk until garlic is mashed and well combined. Gradually add more soy milk until potatoes are fluffy.
- Season with remaining ½ tsp. salt and pepper. Top with sliced fried garlic and serve immediately.