Super Green Quiche
Get your greens in before noon with this veggie quiche. To avoid a crumbly mess, you’ll have to be patient and let it cool before slicing.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup vegan margarine
- ½ cup ice cold water
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ½ cup broccoli, diced small
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ¼ cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. parsley
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- 1¾ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine whole-wheat flour with the all-purpose flour, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in the vegan margarine until it’s crumbly, then add ice-cold water, a few tablespoons at a time, until you can form a dough. Roll out the dough and press it into a tart or pie pan
- Steam the spinach and broccoli until just lightly cooked, then set aside to cool. Press as much moisture as possible out of the spinach.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the tofu with the soy sauce, soy milk, mustard, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, pepper, and ¾ teaspoon salt until well mixed. Mix in the spinach and broccoli by hand until combined.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared piecrust.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Quiche will firm up a bit more as it cools.