Super Healthy Carrot Bread
This bread is healthy, hearty and easy to make, using shredded carrots, cornmeal and flax seed meal. The subtle sweetness makes it a perfect stand-in for traditional banana bread.
Serves: 8Prep: 10 minutesCook: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bag (10 oz.) shredded carrots
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs, 3 egg whites, 1 yolk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Honey
- 3⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ 2% Reduced Fat Milk
- 1⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Raisins
- 1⁄4 cup Simple Truth™ Dried Cranberries
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small saucepan, place carrots and enough water to just cover them. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and cool.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, place flour, cornmeal, salt, flax meal and baking powder. In another bowl, add egg whites (saving one yolk) and whip until almost stiff.
- Place egg yolk, oil, honey and milk in a small bowl and mix well. Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add whipped egg whites, and fold in to combine. Add dried fruit and carrots, stir to combine. Do not over mix!
- Spray 5”x9” loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool and cut into 8 slices.