Super-Meaty TVP Meatloaf
With a pinkish hue and chewy texture, this meatloaf impersonates the real thing well. Top with gravy for a Thanksgiving entrée.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups TVP
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup plus 3 Tbsp. barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried sage
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine TVP with hot vegetable broth and allow to sit for 6 to 7 minutes until rehydrated. Gently squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine TVP, onion, ketchup, and 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce. Stir in vital wheat gluten, bread crumbs parsley, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Gently press mixture into prepared loaf pan. Spread remaining barbecue sauce on top and bake for 45 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.