Supersized Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies provide a homemade alternative to those decadent oversized store-bought cookies drowning in sugar.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together the shortening, butter, and brown sugar well. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift the baking soda and salt into the flour. Add the cocoa powder and cinnamon and blend well. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Shape 3 to 4 tablespoons of the dough into a ball about 2" in diameter. Place on 2 ungreased baking sheets, set well apart (6 balls to a tray). Press down gently with a fork. Top with chopped peanuts.
- Bake for 13 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container.