Swedish Apple Cake
Swedish apple cake, with its beautiful top layer of apples and cinnamon and nutmeg, is a harbinger of autumn. Serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp. butter, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1¼ cups flour
- 4 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. With 1 teaspoon of butter, grease a 10" round cake pan. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cream together butter and white sugar, add eggs and mix well. Sprinkle with baking powder, then add the flour in ⅓-cup increments, mixing well after each addition to prevent lumps.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan, and cover with the apple chunks. Sprinkle with the sugar-spice mixture.
- Bake cake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.