Swedish Coffee Bread
This braided bread is a sweet Scandinavian delicacy. It is particularly popular around the holiday season.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 oz. live yeast, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup warm whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup Splenda, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄2 cup cold whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast and warm milk. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix the unsalted butter, Splenda, and salt. Beat in two of the eggs and cold milk. Add the yeast and set aside for 10 minutes. Stir in the flour, mix well, cover, and let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle a flat surface with flour and roll the dough out onto it. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Roll into a long rope, about 18 inches long and 1⁄3 inch thick.
- Mix the Splenda, cardamom, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle the dough with the Splenda and spice mixture, then spread the raisins and nuts on top. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cut the dough in 3 pieces (6 inches long). Braid the pieces together and place on the cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise for 60 minutes. When the dough has doubled in size, heat oven to 350°F. Beat the remaining egg. Brush the dough with egg and bake for 30 minutes.