Swedish Sauerkraut Dinner
Serve this dinner with crusty rolls or pumpernickel bread and some cheese.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. thick-cut ham, cut into ½" dice
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 large russet or red potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" dice
- 1 lb. green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 bag (2 lb.) sauerkraut, rinsed and well-drained
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Put the ham in a 6-quart Dutch oven, and fry the meat over medium heat to render out most of the fat. Spoon out some of the excess fat, leaving at least 2 tablespoons of it in the pan. Add the onion and sauté until transparent. Add the potatoes and mix with the bacon and onion. Add the cabbage and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the cabbage wilts. Squeeze any excess moisture out of the sauerkraut and add it to the pan, along with the remaining ingredients. Lower heat, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.