Swedish Strawberry Cake (Jordgubbstårta)
Similar in preparation to Norwegian bløtekake, this version of strawberry cake incorporates a luscious almond cream filling and white chocolate icing. Use June’s seasonal local strawberries to make this the crowning glory of a Midsummer’s Eve bonfire party.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. potato starch flour, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted and ground
- 6 oz. white chocolate, grated
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Beat together whole eggs and 2 cups granulated sugar. Stir in 1 cup flour, 3⁄4 cup potato starch flour, baking powder, and vanilla. Chill in the refrigerator to rest while you prepare the cake filling.
- To make almond cream filling, bring milk almost to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl beat together egg yolks and remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, then whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons potato starch flour.
- Slowly whisk the warm milk into the egg mixture; when all is incorporated, return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and begins to bubble. Remove from heat, fold in toasted ground almonds, and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. , Grease a 9-inch spring form pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Add 1 teaspoon flour to coat pan, shake out excess. Pour the cooled batter into the pan and cook for 40 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and cool completely before removing from pan.
- For icing, melt white chocolate in a microwave, then cool slightly. Whip together cream cheese and 1⁄4 cup butter, stir in melted white chocolate, then beat in enough confectioners' sugar to make a fluffy icing (you may not need the full 2 cups). Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes or more to set.
- To assemble cake, release the cake from the spring form pan. Slice the cake horizontally into two equal halves. Spread the bottom half with almond cream. Top with the other half of cake. Frost the top of the cake with icing. Cover cake with strawberry slices.