Sweet Chocolate Layer Cake
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 4 oz. milk chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 2⁄3 cups plus 1⁄2 cup softened butter, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 2⁄3 cup plus 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of 2 round cake pans (9 inches) with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a small saucepan, combine chocolate with water. Stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, cream 2 2⁄3 cup butter. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla and melted chocolate. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with 2⁄3 cup buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on racks.
- Put 1⁄2 cup butter, cocoa, and 1 1⁄2 cup buttermilk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, mixing well. Frost cake.