Sweet Corn Spoonbread
A little bit cornbread, a little bit soufflé, and lots of tasty!
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs, separated
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish; set aside.
- In a 3-quart sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add corn; cook 3 minutes. Add 1½ cups milk and cornmeal. Cook 2-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together remaining milk, honey, salt, cayenne pepper and egg yolks. Add to corn mixture and stir until smooth.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into corn mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 38-42 minutes until golden brown and set in the center. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Make it a Meal: Serve with rotisserie chicken and sautéed greens. For greens, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cleaned chopped greens, tough stems removed (i.e. kale or Swiss chard) along with a small diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Sauté 5-7 minutes until tender, season with salt and pepper to taste.