Sweet and Fluffy Dinner Rolls
Yeasted dinner rolls take a little extra time and effort but the end result is so worthwhile!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup water, warm (110°F–115°F), divided
- 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in 1⁄4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1⁄4 cups flour, remaining sugar, and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture and then add the remaining 3⁄4 cup warm water, 1 egg, and butter. Gradually add the remaining 1 cup flour and mix until dough is smooth. Cover, place in a warm area, and allow to rise for 1 to 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Knead dough for 1 to 2 minutes, then cut into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Beat remaining egg and brush on the tops of the rolls. Bake rolls for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.