Sweet Potato Apple Bake
This is an excellent side dish to serve at Thanksgiving. You can easily double it and bake it in two casseroles.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub potatoes and place on a baking sheet. Prick skins with a knife or fork and roast for 1 hour, or until a knife inserts effortlessly into the potato. Remove from oven and cool for half an hour.
- Reduce heat to 350°F. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop the potatoes from their skins. Mash the potatoes and spread into a greased 1 1⁄2-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice. Layers the apples over the sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine apple juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and butter and mix well. Pour over the layers in the baking dish. Cover and bake until apples and potatoes are tender and juice is bubbling, about 70 to 80 minutes.