Sweet Potato Apple Latkes
Use your food processor to process the potatoes, apples, and onion to a fine grate and cut the preparation time in half for this recipe. Serve topped with applesauce and nondairy sour cream.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and grated
- Egg replacer for 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- Using a cloth or paper towel, gently squeeze out excess moisture from sweet potatoes and apples, and combine with onions in a large bowl.
- Mix together egg replacer, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and combine with sweet potato mixture.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet or frying pan. Drop potato mixture in the hot oil a scant ¼ cup at a time, and use a spatula to flatten, forming a pancake. Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side until lightly crisped. Repeat with remaining oil and sweet potato mixture.