Sweet Potato Coconut Soup
Despite the sweet ingredients, this is a hearty and delicious soup. Increase the coconut milk to a full can if you want a richer coconut flavor. You can toast the cinnamon, Garam masala, and cumin in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Once they release their aroma, remove from heat and add to soup mixture.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Combine sweet potatoes, lentils, stock, water, cinnamon, Garam masala, and in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in coconut milk and salt.
- Using a hand wand or a blender, purée until smooth. Serve topped with walnuts and a dollop of yogurt.