Sweet Potato Gratin with Leeks and Onions
This dish is the perfect choice when you want a sweet and savory, delicious combination.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 leeks, white part only, rinsed and chopped
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery with tops, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornbread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare large gratin pan or baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the leeks, onions, garlic, and celery in olive oil or butter.
- Layer the sweet potato slices in the gratin pan with the vegetables. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper as you go along.
- Finish with a layer of potatoes. Add the milk until it meets the top layer of potatoes, then add the cornbread crumbs. Dot with butter.
- Bake until the potatoes are soft, about 1 hour.