Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Tarte Tatin
Serve this savory vegetable tart with a spring greens salad for a light lunch.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, and sliced
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. chopped rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 unbaked vegan pie or pastry dough
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place sweet potatoes, russet potato, onion, thyme, and rosemary in a large bowl and toss with olive oil. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and season with sea salt and cracked pepper. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 375°F.
- On a floured surface, roll tart dough out in a 12-inch circle, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Fold circle in half, and then fold in half again.
- Melt margarine over medium heat in a 10- or 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Stir in vinegar and brown sugar and heat until bubbly. Remove from heat. Arrange layers of sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, onions, and then Swiss chard in the cast-iron skillet. Repeat layers until all vegetables are used.
- Place pastry dough on top of vegetables with the point in the center. Unfold dough across the rest of the pan. Tuck the edges between vegetables and the sides of the pan. Place skillet in the oven and bake until crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife and serve hot.