Sweet Potato–Ginger Soup
Serve as a first course to a large holiday meal.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. minced thyme
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for about 1 minute. Add the squash, sweet potatoes, russet potato, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Working in 1-cup batches, purée in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour into a clean pot, stir in the yogurt, and reheat gently. Ladle into bowls and serve.