Sweet Ricotta Strata with Fruit
Similar to a bread pudding, but not quite as sweet, this breakfast strata tastes great when served alongside a fresh berry salad.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup raisins
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 cups cubed baguette
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese, drained
- Spray an 8" × 8" casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Combine dried cranberries and raisins in a small bowl. Cover with 1 cup boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk the egg whites, egg yolks, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the baguette, cranberries, raisins, and ricotta; pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Place a heavy weight on top of the strata so that the custard mixture can soak into the bread. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake the strata, preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the strata on the middle rack and bake until the center is set and cooked through, about 1 hour.