Sweet and Savory Brazilian Meat and Cheese Tart
Try this savory comfort food—an ode to traditional Brazilian tarts.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. turbinado sugar
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 oz. baby spinach
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 4 medium limes, cut in quarters
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a pastry cutter or two knives), combine flour, butter, vegetable shortening, ½ teaspoon salt, and sugar; work dough until mixture resembles oatmeal. Slowly add 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water and mix until pliable but not very wet. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the filling: In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, warm half of coconut oil and add ground beef, breaking up into pieces and cooking until browned. Add remaining oil, garlic, spinach, remaining salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook 2–3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and mix in Parmesan. If there is any extra juice, drain first before putting filling into pie.
- Take half of dough out of refrigerator. Cover your work surface with flour and sprinkle more flour onto rolling pin and dough. Working quickly, roll dough until it’s about 18", a little larger than size of 9" pie dish. Dust dough with flour occasionally to ensure it does not stick to surface or rolling pin. Transfer dough to pie dish. Gently tuck dough inside dish and allow remaining dough to drape over sides of dish. Prick pie crust all over with a fork.
- Pour filling into pie dish and spread out evenly. Make 6 small holes in filling, evenly around dish, and slowly drop 1 egg into each hole. Roll out remaining dough with flour and drape it on top of filling and eggs. Using your fingers, seal crust around edges. Cut 2–3 slits on top to vent during baking.
- Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush egg wash over top of tart and place into middle rack of oven. Bake 50–55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving with lime wedges.