Sweet-and-Sour Chicken with Vegetables
The sweetness of the peppers and pineapple balance the sour of the vinegars in this recipe. Serve with white rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. black rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. oil for stir-frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups bite-sized pieces of chicken
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 4 Tbsp. water
- In a large bowl, mix pineapple juice, rice vinegar, black rice vinegar, and soy sauce, and set aside.
- Add oil to a wok or medium skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add the chicken. Stir-fry until it changes color and is nearly cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the pineapple juice mixture to a boil. Stir in the sugar until it dissolves. Add green and red peppers and pineapple chunks. Bring back to a boil and add cornstarch-and-water mixture, stirring quickly to thicken.
- Pour the sauce over the stir-fried chicken and heat through.