Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
Slow-cook tart apples, sugar, and apple cider vinegar for a tangy, pickled flavor. This is delicious with roast pork or as an alternative to traditional coleslaw on pulled pork sandwiches.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large head red cabbage, sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 small tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup apple juice
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. caraway seeds
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Place cabbage, onions, apples, and salt into a greased 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together water, apple juice, sugar, vinegar, and caraway seeds. Pour over the cabbage.
- Drizzle butter over everything and cover slow cooker. Cook on high for 3–4 hours or on low for 6–8 hours. Stir well before serving.