Sweet and Spicy Steak Sauce
The caramelized sugar in this recipe is not as sweet as it may sound. This makes a delicious barbecue sauce.
Makes: 2 cupsHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 2 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup onions, minced
- ½ cup shallots, minced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the sugar in a frying pan with a fairly thin bottom. Heat until the sugar melts—it’s ready when it’s a rich brown, but not burnt.
- Add the onions, shallots, and peppers, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce to about 1 cup, cool, and store until ready to serve with steak.