Sweet Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce is the basis for innumerable pasta, polenta, and vegetable main dishes. It can be made with canned Italian plum tomatoes or with fresh garden tomatoes in the summer. This sweet sauce is wonderful with either canned or fresh tomatoes.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the onions, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Purée the tomatoes in a food processor or blender. Add the puréed tomatoes to the skillet and add the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, partially covered.
- Add the oil, oregano, basil, and sugar. Simmer an additional 30 minutes.