Swiss Cheese Gougeres
Gougeres are choux paste made with cheese. They are traditionally served while tasting wine in Burgundy. You may try cheddar cheese with a pinch of cayenne pepper to vary this recipe.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Put the water, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. When butter is melted, turn heat to medium and add the flour all at once. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon over medium heat until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat and beat in eggs one at a time. Use a wooden spoon or an electric mixer. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Scoop dough with two spoons into 1-inch mounds on baking sheet, evenly spacing them about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle them with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F, bake 15 minutes more. Serve warm or room temperature.