Tamale Pie is similar to shepherd’s pie but with warm southwestern flavors.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 cup corn (frozen kernels)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Boil 3 cups water in a medium saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon salt to boiling water, and while stirring, slowly add the coarse cornmeal. Over medium heat, cook, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Over medium heat, brown meat in a skillet; add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and chili powder and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir corn into cooked cornmeal. Layer half the cornmeal mixture on the bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" casserole dish. Spoon meat filling on top of this layer. Spread remaining cornmeal on top of meat mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.