Tamale Spoon Bread Casserole
This recipe requires one pot for the cooking and a separate casserole dish for the baking.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) kidney beans
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) chopped tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1 can (12 oz.) whole-kernel corn
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced, pitted ripe olives
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish lightly with nonstick spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and brown the meat, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon. Add the onion, garlic, and green pepper to the skillet; cook, stirring, until the onion is slightly browned. Drain the fat from the skillet.
- Drain the beans then add to the meat mixture.
- Mix together 1⁄2 cup of the cornmeal and 1 cup water and stir it into the skillet; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, chili powder, salt, and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes longer. Mix in the olives, then spoon the meat mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Heat the milk and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the milk begins to simmer, slowly whisk in the remaining 1⁄2 cup cornmeal. Lower the heat and continue to simmer while stirring or whisking until it thickens. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese and eggs. Pour the cornmeal mixture over the meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the entire casserole is hot and bubbly.