Tangy Ginger Soup (Adrak Ka Shorba)
To make a richer version of this soup, adrak ka shorba, replace the milk with a half cup of cream.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2” piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, roasted
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 dried red chilies, roughly pounded
- 1 serrano green chili, minced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt, whipped
- Table salt, to taste
- ½ tsp. dried mint
- In a blender or with a hand grater, grind the ginger to a fine paste. If using a blender, you may add up to 1 tablespoon of water.
- In a deep pan, heat the butter and the oil on medium. Add the ginger and sauté until well browned. Add the cumin and turmeric; sauté for about 20 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Cook for another 7 to 8 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. Add the red and green chilies, then add the milk. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add the yogurt. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add the salt. You can serve the soup as is or strained. Garnish with dried mint.