Tangy Glazed Sausage Bites
These tangy sausage bites are a great alternative to meatballs. They’re perfect for a game party, New Year’s Eve, or any other special occasion.
Serves: 30Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. bulk pork sausage
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. ground sage
- ½ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, beaten eggs, breadcrumbs, milk, sage, and thyme. With an electric mixer or food processor, beat until well blended.
- With wet hands, shape mixture into balls about 1"–1¼" in diameter.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, arrange a batch of sausage balls in a single layer; brown on all sides. This will take about 12–15 minutes for each batch. When all sausage bites are browned, pour off excess fat and return to the skillet, or transfer to a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; pour over sausage bites. Cover and simmer on medium for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot from a slow cooker or chafing dish, with toothpicks for spearing sausage bites.